Science and Communication
The Science and Communication department aims to engender the ethical conduct of research by serving as a link between researcher practitioners, relevant stakeholders and community members. Our aim is to translate scientific concepts and research practices in a way that empowers local community members to take ownership and participate meaningfully in collaboration with researchers conducting and implementing studies in the three districts (Chikwawa, Blantyre and Zomba) where TRUE maintains its study sites.
Our vision is to establish a continuous, effective link between TRUE research team members and various stakeholders including, community members to ensure that research and the results and benefits of research are shared by all involved.
Our mission is to strengthen community participation and engagement across all the TRUE study sites by liaising with all stakeholders and community members involved in collaborating with TRUE’s research activities to ensure a good working relationship between research teams and the community at large.
Our Core Services
The core services of the department are:
- To support PIs and research teams prepare study protocols and budgets that include community stakeholders and community engagement activities.
- To formulate and operationalize community engagement plans, strategies and activities with research teams .
- To coordinate meetings with all levels of stakeholders including, community leaders, government authorities and other organizations prior to the commencement of research activities in the community.
- To coordinate sensitization meetings and campaigns in the community to promote awareness of the project prior to the commencement of research activities and ensure the establishment of a community engagement structure comprised of community representatives in all of TRUE’s research communities.
- To identify and address issues or grievances arising from communities and other stakeholders and provide regular and timely information and feedback on research activities and research outcomes.
- To providing training to Community Action Groups (CAGs) and other stakeholders on the roles and responsibilities of researchers and community members in research.